The SMRS (Slim M-LOK Rail System) Gen 3 by Dirty Bird Industries is a high quality and feature packed M-LOK handguard designed for AR-15 platform rifles and pistols. When designing this handguard, the team started from a basic set of requirements: The handguard must be tough, versatile, practical and have a straight forward install.
- Machined from aircraft grade 6061-T6 aluminum extrusions.
- Type 3 hard anodizing or Cerakote™ sprayed at 1 mil thickness per spec.
- M-LOK attachment slots on all sides, including the shaved portion of the top rail.
- 1913 Picatinny top rail with shaved and beveled center section.
- Snag free design with smooth, uniform octagonal surface ideal for accessory attachment or application of specialty coatings or patterns.
- The Gen 3 Handguard features integral 5 slot 1913 Picatinny Rail sections on the 12, 3, 6, and 9 o’ clock positions at the mouth of the handguard
- This version features the patent pending anti-slip / anti-lift attachment method (ASALTM) for an easy, timing-free installation that provides an extremely rigid and secure attachment. Read below for more technical details about this impressive new attachment method.
- Compatible with most known low profile gas blocks.
Straight Forward Installation
- No frills clamp-on style installation using only a 1-3/16 Crow’s Foot wrench and 5/32″” Allen key
- Barrel nut does not requiring timing with the gas tube. No shims required.
The end result is a great looking, zero compromise handguard suitable for a wide variety of builds.
1.7″” Maximum Vertical ID (for considering vertical height of gas blocks)
Made in the USA
Dirty Bird Industries’ Limited Lifetime Warranty
Black, Magpul™ FDE, Magpul™ OD Green, Midnight Bronze, Sniper Grey
ASAL Attachement System Report
Eliminating Handguard Slip
The shockwave generated when firing an AR-15 creates over 1000 G’s of acceleration. This means that a one pound part will generate over 1000 pounds of force every time the rifle is fired. Combined with the thermal cycling generated when firing multiple rounds, it can be very difficult to keep a handguard from slipping forward or rotating. Many attempts have been made to solve this problem. Some solutions are overly complex, resulting in difficult installation and high manufacturing cost. Some designs, like the popular key seat, are overly simple. The key seat will stop a handguard from coming completely off of the rifle; however, it still allows some forward slip and 360 degrees of rotation.
Free-floating handguard mounting systems tend to produce an upward lift of the handguard, resulting in the muzzle end of the handguard floating higher than the receiver end. This lift can adversely affect the performance of the rifle, especially when using iron sights. Even if the handguard is only used for protecting your hand, a small amount of lift is noticeable when aiming down the sightline. This visually makes the rifle seem crooked. Even if the rifle performs with precision, it can create an optical illusion, thereby reducing accuracy.
The patent pending ASALTM (Anti-Slip / Anti-Lift) system is simple, easy to install, easy to manufacture, and a cost effective solution to handguard slip and lift issues. The ASALTM system locks the handguard to the barrel nut using a CamLokTM fastener featuring a 10 degree taper angle. This small taper creates a huge mechanical advantage, greatly increasing the force generated by a standard screw. The mating groove in the barrel nut is offset so as it is tightened, the handguard is pressed against the upper. This mitigates lift while also preventing slipping or rotation around the barrel’s axis. The result is a handguard that will not slip, rotate, or lift.
The result is a 10x decreases of handguard muzzle end lift.